County Offical Info
Putnam County Codes
270 Carlen Ave
Cookeville, TN 38501
(931) 526-2285
(931) 526-2257
7:00am to 3:30pm
Monday - Friday

The Putnam County Codes and Planning Department enforces the commercial and residential regulations of the 2018 edition of the International Code Council through the inspection processes. This department accepts applications for all construction permits, collects fees, issues permits, schedules inspections, maintains permit record files, and issues occupancy certificates.

Building codes play an integral role in maintaining the quality of construction in Putnam County, assisting builders and the general public with the building codes and other regulations to the mutual benefit of both. It is our mission to protect and serve the citizens of Putnam County through the fair and ethical enforcement of adopted construction codes, zoning regulations, and construction safety standards. An efficient administration, qualified professional staff, ongoing citizen and customer education efforts, and active enforcement on new and existing construction to include housing and property maintenance standards accomplish this.


Special Plumbers License

Putnam County requires a Special Plumbers License for all plumbers and HVAC contractors. The fee is $50.00 and must be renewed yearly.

Licensed Contractor

For information on how to become a licensed contractor, please refer to the State of Tennessee's web site Here.

Steps in Obtaining a Building Permit
  1. Obtain a new 911 address by calling 931-528-1555. (new construction only)
  2. Purchase Septic Permit from Environmental Office at State of TN
  3. Purchase Building Permit
  4. Purchase Plumbing Permit
  5. Purchase Mechanical Permit (HVAC)
  6. Post house numbers per 911 regulations (available with permit)
  7. Call for Inspections in proper order (see below)

Before any inspections will be made, the following must be in place:

  1. Access to a portable toilet for worker's use
  2. A crushed stone ramp to the site to prevent mud from leaving site
  3. Straw bales, silt fences or other erosion control devices in place
  4. Post address to 911 specifications
  5. Post building permit onsite

The following inspections are required for all structures:

  1. Footer (before concrete is ordered)
  2. Foundations, anchor bolts, silt plate and drains around basements
  3. Plumbing in slabs (if required)
  4. Concrete slabs
  5. Rough-in framing, plumbing and mechanical all in one inspection
  6. Energy (insulation values or trade offs)
  7. Final before habitating a building


Putnam County has adopted the 2018 IBC and 2018 IRC


Do I need a permit?

Permits are required for the following:

  • All new buildings, residential and commercial.
  • Any additions to existing buildings.
  • Decks or porches added to existing buildings.
  • Modular homes.
  • Garages or storage buildings that are over 200 Sq. Ft.
  • Plumbing and mechanical additions.

Do I need a permit for a cell tower?

Yes. Putnam County does require permits for cell towers. Click on the links below for applicable forms and regulations.

Do I need a permit for a sign?

No, Putnam County does not issue permits for signs.

Does Putnam County have any zoning regulations?

Putnam County has no formal zoning code at this time.

I have a complaint about blasting in my area, who do I call?

The Department of Commerce and Insurance's State Fire Marchal's Office will conduct investigations into blasting complaints. If you have concerns regarding blasting in your area, contact the State Fire Marshal's Office at 615-741-7190.

How do I obtain an address?

The Putnam County 911 center assigns all new addresses in Putnam County, Algood, Baxter, and Monterey. To apply for a new address in any of the above locations call 931-528-1555. For additional information you may refer to their website at:

To apply for a new address within Cookeville city, please contact Linda Dillon at 931-520-5268.

You must have your construction stakes up showing where the house or trailer will set before you call for a new address. Addresses are usually assigned within 48 hours.