The Putnam County Soil Conservation District was established in 1941 as a subdivision of the state government. The Putnam County Soil Conservation District is to provide conservation planning, education, information and technical assistance to landowners, groups and units of government so they can enhance and benefit from the proper management of our natural resources. We provide information on our available programs and services, as well as potential funding sources from outside agencies. Conservation is best when led by local citizens- help us protect our precious local natural resources, from the ground up.
For Additional Information please visit PutnamSCD.com
The mission of the Putnam County Soil Conservation District is to protect and conserve the natural resources of the county for landowners, land users, units of government, educators and organizations by finding and taking available technical, financial, and educational resources and making them available to our clients without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religions, age, disability, political beliefs, and marital or familial status.
The Putnam County Soil Conservation District, organized under the provisions of the Tennessee SCD Enabling Act of 1939, officially became a soil conservation district on February 19, 1941, following a referendum in which 322 landowners voted for and 16 against the organization. The referendum was held at four polling places, namely Double Springs, Cookeville, Baxter, and Twin Oak communities. Prior to the referendum, a petition signed by local landowners was submitted to the State Soil Conservation Committee on October 2, 1940, requesting authority to hold a referendum. Also, public hearings were held at Cookeville on November 9, 1940, in keeping with state statutes. Following the favorable vote for the formation of the Putnam County Soil Conservation District, local agriculture leaders submitted recommendations to the State Soil Conservation Committee to appoint two supervisors. On December 12, 1940, Mr. Asher Lafever of Twin Oak Community and Mr. B. M. Lee of Shaw Branch Community were officially named. They requested and received a Certificate of Organization from the Tennessee Secretary of State.