The Putnam County Solid Waste Department includes a Recycling Center, Transfer Station, Landfill, and nine Convenience sites.
Helpful Information from this Department:
- Commercial waste goes to Transfer Station.
- General public waste goes to Convenience Sites.
- Construction, demolition,yard waste (brush) and all tires(off the rim) go to the Landfill
- Latex paint is recycled at the Dacco Quarry Site (only) on Tuesday and Saturdays from 10:30 am to 6:30 p.m.
- Convenience Sites are open from 6:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays,Wednesdays,Fridays, and Saturdays.
- 3:30 p.m. is the cut off time for unloading at the Transfer Station and Landfill.
- Deceased animals are accepted Monday through Friday before 12:00 p.m. at $45.00 per ton. (pro-rated)
- To file a formal complaint, you must come to the main office located at 1846 S. Jefferson Ave, Cookeville, TN 38506 and fill out a formal complaint with your name, address, telephone number, and nature of the complaint. The complaint will be reviewed and appropriate action will be taken.
"Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle to keep a great place to live cleaner and greener for generations to come."
Items accepted at the convenience centers:
Metal and appliances
#1 and #2 plastic
Aluminum and metal cans
Leaves (no trees, stumps, or brush)
Items the convenience centers cannot accept:
Commercial Industrial waste
* Hazardous Waste is collected at the Fairgrounds once a year.
Brush & limbs go to Landfill or Bangham with the exception of Monterey.
Items accepted at the recycling center:
The Recycling Center will accept the following items:
#1 and #2 Plastics
Magazines and junk mail
Oil, Transmission Fluid, and Hydraulic Fluid
Metal, appliances and aluminum
Items the recycling center cannot accept:
Wax –coated cardboard
Polystyrene or Styrofoam
Pure Carbon Paper or Thermal Fax Paper
Items accepted at the transfer station:
Commercial and Industrial Waste
Metal and old appliances
Styrofoam in plastic bags
TV, computers, and microwaves
*All wire goes to the transfer station.
Items the transfer station cannot accept:
Carpet and carpet padding
Blocks and bricks
*Latex paint is accepted at the Dacco Site on Tuesdays & Saturdays 10:30 to 6:30. Latex paint can be dried out completely and safely be discarded in your household trash.
*Oil based paint should be held until the Hazardous Household Waste is scheduled.
Items accepted at the landfill:
Tires off the rim
Demolition and or Construction Waste
Shingles (personal residential only)
Bricks, Blocks, Concrete Blocks
Wood and Pallets
Carpet and Carpet Padding
Commercial and Residential Brush
Items that cannot be accepted at the landfill:
No liquids of any kind
No TV, computers, and microwaves