The Putnam County Solid Waste Department includes a Recycling Center, Transfer Station, Landfill, and nine Convenience sites.
Helpful Information from this Department:
- Commercial waste goes to Transfer Station.
- General public waste goes to Convenience Sites.
- Construction, demolition,yard waste (brush) and all tires(off the rim) go to the Landfill.
- Convenience Sites are open from 6:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays,Wednesdays,Fridays, and Saturdays.
- 3:15 p.m. is the cut off time for unloading at the Transfer Station and Landfill.
- Deceased animals are accepted Monday through Friday before 12:00 p.m. at $45.00 per ton. (pro-rated)
- To file a formal complaint, you must come to the main office located at 1846 S. Jefferson Ave, Cookeville, TN 38506 and fill out a formal complaint with your name, address, telephone number, and nature of the complaint. The complaint will be reviewed and appropriate action will be taken.
"Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle to keep a great place to live cleaner and greener for generations to come."
Items accepted at the convenience centers:
Metal and appliances
#1 and #2 plastic
Aluminum and metal cans
Leaves (no trees, stumps, or brush)
Items the convenience centers cannot accept:
Commercial Industrial waste
Items accepted at the recycling center:
The Recycling Center will accept the following items:
#1 and #2 Plastics
Magazines and junk mail
Oil, Transmission Fluid, and Hydraulic Fluid
Metal, appliances and aluminum
Items the recycling center cannot accept:
Wax –coated cardboard
Polystyrene or Styrofoam
Pure Carbon Paper or Thermal Fax Paper
Items accepted at the transfer station:
Commercial and Industrial Waste
Metal and old appliances
Styrofoam in plastic bags
TV, computers, and microwaves
*All wire goes to the transfer station.
Items the transfer station cannot accept:
Carpet and carpet padding
Blocks and bricks
* Latex paint can be dried out completely and safely be discarded in your household trash. See downloadable flier for latex paint disposal.
*Oil based paint should be took to the Hazardous Household Waste Facility.
Items accepted at the landfill:
Tires off the rim
Demolition and or Construction Waste
Shingles (personal residential only)
Bricks, Blocks, Concrete Blocks
Wood and Pallets
Carpet and Carpet Padding
Commercial and Residential Brush
Items that cannot be accepted at the landfill:
No liquids of any kind
No TV, computers, and microwaves
Putnam County Household Hazardous Waste Facility
located at 2101 West Jackson St, Cookeville,TN 38501 will open to the public on April 20, 2020 at 8:00 A.M. The phone number to the facility is (931) 400-0622.
*No Materials accepted without personnel present.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Wednesday-Thursday 7:00 A.M.-3:00 P.M.
Tuesday-Friday 7:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M.
Non-Emergency Contact Number: 931-528-3884
In case of emergency: Dial 911
Materials that are acceptable include:
Flammable Liquid Corrosive material Oxidizing material Reactive material Household Cleaners and Solvents
Propane cylinders Fire Extinguishers Aerosols/Paints and Cleaners
Oil based paint (5 gal. limit/week)
Lawn and Garden Products e.g. Herbicides Pesticides
Pool chemicals Rechargeable Batteries (no alkaline)
Fluorescent bulbs and Tubes (8’ maximum length)
Materials not acceptable include but not limited to:
Latex paint Automotive batteries Antifreeze Used Oil/Filters
Medical Sharps/Pharmaceuticals or Waste
Ammunition Explosives Radioactive Materials
Business Hazardous Waste (Contact Clean Harbors: 615-643-3170)
Beginning May 4th, 2020 latex paint will no longer be accepted at the Dacco Quarry convenience center. See THIS FLIER for disposal directions.