County Offical Info
Wayne Nabors
County Clerk
121 S Dixie Ave
Cookeville, TN 38501
8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Monday - Friday


     Wayne Nabors is the County Clerk for Putnam County. This website will provide you with easy access to services and documents offered to you by the Putnam County Clerk's office. Here you will find information about Wayne and the office as well as many helpful tools that you can use online.

        The County Clerk Office performs various functions of county business. The duties of the office range from Clerk to the County Commission, title and registration, business tax, marriage license, boat and water vessel tax, beer applications, beer annual tax, mail in renewals for license tags, notary applications, and Tennessee Manufacturing Housing Installation Decals to conducting a great deal of the State's taxation duties within the county.

Office Locations, Directions, Hours, Boats & Temp Tags
Cookeville Main Office
121 South Dixie Ave. Cookeville, TN 38501
Lobby Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
Drive-Thru Window: (for renewals only) 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Fridays.
Boat Registrations
No Boat or Watercraft Transactions will be processed after 3:40 p.m. - NO EXCEPTIONS
Temporary Tags
No Temporary tags will be processed after 3:30 p.m. - NO EXCEPTIONS
Temporary tags are only issued for Tennessee titles only.  Temporary tags are issued when an individual purchases a vehicle from another individual and will be transported out of Tennessee only or to another county clerk's office to be registered.  You must have the title and it must be properly assigned.
If the title is in the possession of the previous owner's lienholder, you must have a structured bill of sale which should include the name and address of the lienholder and must be on the state records.  
You must present a current pictorial ID and the cost is $10.00, payable only by credit or debit card or cash. No checks accepted.

Directions from I-40
Exit I-40 @ Exit 287 (Hwy 136/Jefferson Ave) go North toward the square following Hwy 136 North. Just before the square, make a left on to Reagan Street, then a left on to South Dixie Avenue. The Clerk's office is on your right, 121 S. Dixie Ave. newoffice Main Office: Google Map 121 South Dixie Ave., Cookeville, TN 38501

Monterey Annex

Monterey City Hall - 302 E Commercial Ave, Monterey, TN 38574
Monday - Friday 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Baxter Annex

Baxter City Hall - 200 Main St, Baxter, TN 38544
Monday, Wednesday & Friday 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
What are the procedures to obtain a marriage license and what is the cost?

The Cost Varies as follows:

If both parties are 18 years of age or older with no pre-marital counseling: $99.00

If both parties are 18 or older with presentation of a 4 hour pre-marital counseling course form signed by the minister or licensed counseling professional who administered the course and notarized by a Notary Public: $41.00

Both individuals must be present to obtain a marriage license.

Indivduals under the age of 17 can no longer obtain a marriage license in the State of Tennessee.  Any individuals that are the age of 17 cannot be lawfully married to another individual greater than 21 years of age in the State of Tennessee.  Individuals that are 17 years of age with special situations or circumstances, should call the County Clerk's office for additional information and requirements. 

Marriage license should not be obtained greater than 30 days prior to the marriage date as license are only valid for 30 days at issuance.  After 30 days the license will be void.



What is the sales tax rate on vehicles?

For any vehicle less than $1600, the tax rate is 9.75%. For those over $1600, the rate is 7% of the total plus $44.00 for the county, and an additional "single article" state tax of 2.75% of the amount over $1600.00 up to a maximum of $44.00 (anything over $3200.00 will be charged the maximum single article tax of $44.00)

How much does a County Business License cost?

The initial cost of a County Business License is $15.00.

What do I have to do to become a Notary Public?

An application must be completed, (see forms section) and an oath signed in person at the County Clerk's Office. The applicant must also arrange to be bonded with a $10,000 insurance bond, either through an insurance company, or by having two (2) separate Putnam County property owners come to the Clerk's Office to sign a bond and Property Owner's Statement. The initial fee is $53.50.

Notary must be renewed every 4 years with a new $10,000 bond.  Renewal fee is $19.00

How do I get a Disabled Driver plate or placard?

Fill out page (1) of the application (see the forms section), sign where indicated on the bottom of page (1), and have your doctor complete and sign page (2). Bring the completed application to the County Clerk's Office and pay the appropriate fees. If purchasing a disabled driver plate and it is not time for the current plate to be renewed, you can surrender the current plate for a credit toward the purchase of your new plate.

How do I go about giving a car to my son, daughter, mother, father, brother, or sister?

Complete an "Gift Affidavit/Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfer" (see the forms section), indicating the relationship and zero money involved. Sign the back of the title as "seller". If the title is in two names with the conjunction "and", both parties must sign as sellers on the title and the affidavit. If title is joined by "or" either seller can sign the title and affidavit.  Title and affidavit must be signed exactly as it appears on the front of the title.  Have the recipient bring the title and the affidavit to the Clerk's Office. 

Do utility trailers have to be registered? What about camping trailers?

Utility trailers under 20 feet in length (excluding tongue) and used for personal use only do not have to be licensed and titled in Tennessee. Any utility trailer 20 feet in length and over for personal use must be licensed and titled.

Any size utility trailer used for commercial use MUST be licensed and titled.

The following are also exempt from license and title: a) Livestock trailers owned by farmers and used for agriculture or hauling livestock between farm and market, b) boat trailers c) a one car pull behind car hauler dolly, d) pop-up or fold up camping trailers.

All one-piece structure pull behind camping trailers must be licensed and titled.

How do I get a title for a homemade trailer?

Fill out an "Application for Certificate of Trailer Inspection" (see forms section) and follow the directions. 

Required documentation for registration and title:

  • Pictures of all four (4) sides of the trailer
  • All receipts for any and all parts pertaining to the purchase or construction of the trailer
  • Original Safety Inspection Certificate indicating the trailer has been certified by the Department of Safety and Homeland Security showing the assigned TNVIN

Any questions may be directed to the County Clerk's Office.

Do mobile homes have to be titled?

New laws governing the titling of mobile homes took effect on May 14, 2003. According to these laws, new or used mobile homes, modular homes, double or triple-wide's, etc., that are being permanently affixed to real property (being set on a permanent foundation) do not have to be titled through this office. Instead, a description of the residence should be included on the deed and the deed should be recorded in the Register of Deeds' Office in the Courthouse.

How do I apply for a duplicate title by mail?

1. Complete the duplicate title application and sign by the X (see forms section)

2. Make sure to sign the application as name appears on the title.

3. If the title is in two names with the conjunction code AND, only one person will have to sign the application. 

4. If there is a lien showing on the state computer, we will need a discharge of lien from the lienholder.

5. Make a copy of your current driver license or ID and mail with the application.

6. Send $21.00 (Money Order Only) with paperwork made payable to the County Clerk

7. Please include the correct address to mail title back to you.  We will mail the duplicate title to you within 4 business days after paperwork has been processed.

8. Please include a phone number on the application so we can call you with any questions.

How do I order a personalized plate?

All personalized plates must be ordered thru the state at the below website



How do I get a discharge of lien on my vehicle?

The lienor must provide a notarized, signed discharge of lien on the financial institution's letterhead showing the date the lien was released along with the VIN#, make, year and model of vehicle.  The discharge of lien must also reflect the name of the owner/persons that the vehicle was titled to.